Monday, December 15, 2008

sick as dogs

Well, as you might recall, Jacob had strep throat about three weeks ago. Since then, all health has gone downhill in our family! Mike has been having hives on and off since then, and I just broke out in a set of my own this past weekend. Mine are resolving pretty nicely, but it sure was difficult on Saturday to throw beads from the Mardi Gras float with fingers as fat as sausages.

Our neighbors invited us to be in the Christmas Parade this past weekend and we had a blast. Jacob insisted on throwing one peppermint at a time, and wanted each one to be picked up by someone!





My fingers are back to normal today, but my legs still are itchy and bumpy from all of the hives.

We noticed last night Jacob was starting to have a small rash himself on his belly. By this afternoon though, it had progressed to more of a whole stomach/back rash with larger bite like marks on his arms and legs. My first thought - the dreaded chicken pox! I called his school to see if their had been any recent breakouts, and to my dismay, there had. So, my conclusion is that we are now dealing with chicken pox. Oh, and to answer your question, yes he has had the vaccine. It does not prevent the disease, it just lessens the severity of it. Humph.

So I put in a precautionary call to my OB today and the nurse who called me back said everything was fine as long as I had had the chicken pox before. I have, as a child. Now, Jacob gets to hang out with me at home tomorrow while I disinfect for our party this weekend. Oh, and don't worry, he is no longer contagious (if chicken pox is in fact what he has).

Say a little prayer for our families health....we don't want to be sick for Christmas!

No comments: