Wednesday, October 15, 2008

this is the story of a bug...

Jacob and I went to the duck pond this morning to feed the oh so hungry ducks. We have never been to this particualr spot before and it was quite nice. The ducks recognized the bread bag however and immediately started chasing us as we were trying to find a spot to settle so we could feed them.

Picture this: 50 ducks, all different sizes. Most were nice, but some of them hissed at us until we threw bread directly at them. They got in fights and quacked continuously, and they ate the entire loaf in 3 minutes flat!! It was a sight. We even walked around the pond taking pictures, Jacob being quite cooperative with my attempts to pose him at spots I liked. We stayed for about 40 minutes and then decided to head to the park.

We were both all buckled in, and I was driving out on to the main road leading to the interstate, when all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye, I see something on the brim of my hat. I assumed it was one of the duck feathers that Jacob had been collecting and bringing to me (you can't get West Nile from duck feathers....can you?) and as I reached up to grab it, I saw it move.....

Ok...let's pause for a minute....what would you do in this situation? You are driving on a pretty busy street with your child safely in the backseat of the car.

Well...I FREAKED out I tell ya. Right there in the middle of the road I flung the hat off of my head and started doing this flailing of the arms type motion and screaming at the same time (not one hand on the steering wheel...). I have to make sure this bug is not on me, or in my hair, or by my feet. So, in addition to flailing around I lift my feet to check the ground...car still in motion. Jacob, of course, realizes I am a freak and says "mama, what's wrong". All I can muster up is "a bug...a bug". He then says "a little one" and my response is....no honey, a HUGE one. I then see the monstrosity of a bug still sitting on my hat in the passenger seat like he is trying to figure out what just hapened.

All I can say is...Thank God it was NOT of the flying variety! I have now regained control of the car (thank goodness no other car was near me during the little freakout), and while steering with one hand I roll down both front windows and seriously contemplate humming my hat out of the window. This was a fairly new hat though and so I picked up one edge of it and slammed it against the outside of the car and it apparently fell off outside.

I must say, I was on high alert the rest of the way to the park, since I never actaully saw the bug fall off, he could still be in the car.....right?

Right before turing in to the park, Jacob says "mama, what is that bug thing on the window?" OH - S*!T I have never flung my head around so fast to look for a bug in all my life. Low and behold a bird had just pooped on the window....whoosh that was close.













1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So funny! I am laughing out loud as I read this. I can just picture this whole scene. I wish I was a "fly" on the wall. heehee