Tuesday, May 12, 2009

rambling thoughts

Just hanging out for a bit before I go get the little fella from school. He gets highly offended if I try to pick him up too 'early'. He complained yesterday that he had not had his turn in the kitchen center (they have centers at school that a few kids play in at a time) yet and he was, in fact, not ready to go home.

Jacob has been having a nasty runny nose for a few days now, and on Sunday night started with, what sounded like, some wheezing to me. I usually would have whipped out my handy dandy stethoscope, but since someone at work swiped it, I had to resort to the old ear on the chest to try and hear wheezing in his lungs. Despite my pretty perceptive hearing, I was unsure if he was in fact wheezing. I decided a little breathing treatment wouldn't hurt, so I went to the medicine cabinet to retrieve the breathing machine and inhalant medicine. Low and behold, his medicine expired...LAST AUGUST! Damn.

Mike seemed to think it would be OK to give him an expired breathing treatment, he says he remembers the pediatrician saying once that that stuff never really expired. His medicine is VERY pricey, so I contemplated giving it as well. I called Jacob's after hours pediatrician number and the nurse said it would not hurt him to give it being expired, it just may not help him if he was wheezing. So I gave it last night and the kid was bouncing off the walls! This is a side effect, but it has never done this to him before. It took him over an hour and a half to fall asleep, poor fella. On the positive side, I think it did help his breathing some.

Last night we had a pretty bad rain/lightening/thunderstorm right about dinner time. I found out that lightening hit one of the neighbors houses and caught their roof on fire!!!! Praise Jesus, there was hardly and damage at all. SO SO scary to think of that happening. The scariest part is that you don't know when lightening strikes your house until someone tells you that your house is on fire.

I also discovered/realized that red sauce gives me MAJOR heartburn/indigestion. MAJOR. SEVERE. HEARTBURN. I love red sauce. Pizza, spaghetti, lasagna....oh my.
I guess I will have to keep the tums handy, because despite the horrid chest burning I will have, I am craving lasagna tonight....

No comments: