Monday, March 30, 2009

4:15

That is what time Jacob woke me up this morning, soaked to the core with urine and shivering his little hiney off!

This has been his first true nighttime accident since we got completely rid of the diapers well over a month ago. He has been totally potty trained during the day since this time last year, but has been wearing pullups at night. He has been doing remarkably well, and even just 2 nights ago woke me up at midnight because he had to poop!

So, I was pretty surprised to learn of the accident, but saw it as no big deal. He must have had one of those dreams where you are dreaming that you are on the toilet....you have those too, right?

So to his bathroom we headed, where I peeled off his urine soaked jammies and attempted to wipe him down with a warm washcloth. He was shivering violently and still wreaked of urine. I decided that he could not go to school today with the remnants of stale urine on him and smell like one of 'those' children. You know those poor unkempt dirty children, with mussed hair, dirty nails and smudgy faces. The ones that go to school smelling of whatever is growing in their home....

So rather than starting a whole bath in the tub, I squeezed his little hiney in to the bathroom sink and scrubbed him, all 31 pounds of him. He LOVED it! He kept saying, "mommy, it's so warm in here, but I am too big for this baby tub". He sat and warmed up in the sink while I changed out his bed. Somehow, he managed to avoid peeing on his quilt, blanket, pillow, and each and every strategically placed animal that resides on his bed. Awesome!

Once all was said and done, fresh jammies, fresh bed, he thought it was time for a story. I mean, isn't that our routine....bath, story, bed? I informed him that since it was (now) 4:40 in the morning, that he would not be getting a story, but would in fact be placing his precious little head back on the pillow until morning.

sweet boy.

No comments: