Monday, April 6, 2009

Egg hunt 2009

Since we missed the Church's' annual Easter egg hunt this year, I decided to have my own mini egg hunt in the backyard for Jacob and a few of the neighborhood kids. We had 5 kids total (ages 2-7), and each kid was to hunt 12 eggs.

When I picked Jacob up from school and got him home, I seriously debated on whether to change his clothes so that he was a little more presentable in appearance. Mike sent him to school in sweatpants (totally appropriate for school) and I would normally NEVER let him wear that when we have company coming over. But, I took control of my obsessive ways and decided to let him remain in his dirty stinkiness until after the egg hunt. I am SO glad I let him be, as the neighbor sent her kids over without shoes=) I also did a non-me like thing to do, and had my child hunt for eggs with a Walmart bag. If you know me, this may come as a shock to you. Jacob is normally groomed and proper, all cleaned up, and of course he would normally have the cutest basket on the block. What the heck, I gave him a plastic bag and told him to have fun!

Just before everyone arrived, I waddled my pregnant self outside to pick up landmines, as I did NOT want tons of dog poop drug through the house on the bottom of many small feet. That was enough to wear me out. Boy, I feel old rather than pregnant!

All the kiddies had a blast, but of course while every other kid was running around collecting their 12 eggs as fast as possible, as if there was a grand prize at stake, my child would find an egg, open it, and ask me if he could eat the candy. At one point, his little Walmart (makeshift basket) bag was flittering around the yard, letting the wind carry it, while Jacob examined his ONE egg. At least we know he won't be a greedy child!

He was the last to collect all 12 of his eggs, and the last to open each and every one. He was quite the meticulous one. All the other kids were running and playing, acting like typical wild children. Jacob was sitting nicely on the porch, examining the contents of his plastic bag.

While I was hiding the eggs (before the hunt.....in case you needed clarification...) I made Jake stay inside so that he would not know where all the hiding spots were. When I returned inside, I found Jacob sitting by the front, with his hiney propped on top of two packages. I asked him, stunned, "son, where did those packages come from?" Apparently he thought it ok to open the front door , and pull the packages inside while I was out back. Um, hello Mr kidnapper, come get my child!!!! Needless to say, we had a long talk about handling the doorknob when mommy and daddy aren't around. Scary....

Here a few pictures from the hunt...enjoy!




No comments: