Saturday, April 4, 2009

first crawfish of the season

NOT that I actually eat the crawfish, but I love the crawfish boil!

We were invited to our first (of many) crawfish boils of the season today in Biloxi. My cousin (whom we have not seen in quite a while) was in town from her home in South Carolina this weekend, and my aunt decided to throw a shindig at her home in Biloxi for her. They boiled crawfish and shrimp, and had TONS of other wonderful food to eat. Mike loves crawfish, but my parents, brother and I are not big fans. We get picked on often for this. People cannot fathom the knowledge that, despite being born and raised in the deep south, none of us much likes the mud bug. Unfortunately , I think I am passing this dislike of seafood (despite my best efforts) on to our firstborn. He would not even try the crawfish. I think it was more the fact that he knew this is what they looked like before they were peeled, and less likely my influence on him of my dislike.




I even offered to eat one with him, if he would just try it. But, it was a no go. So he ate the alternative foods, along with his mother and grandparents, while daddy chowed down on the bugs.

Shortly after arriving in Biloxi, we noticed that Mikes' ring finger (modeling his wedding band) was starting to swell. He informed me that this morning he noticed that it was a bit tight, but was able to slip it off and push it back on without much difficulty. He also noted that his watch was a bit tight on his wrist, and decided to remove it earlier. Despite his best efforts, he was unable to remove his ring at my aunts' house. We tried slathering it with soap, water, lotion, etc, all to no avail. His finger was growing increasingly large in size with each tug of the ring, and his knuckle starting looking a little discolored! So rather than waiting for his finger to turn completely blue and heading to the ER, my uncle cut Mikes' ring off in an attempt to save the finger. Good call, but I am a bit sad. Mike has not removed that ring in the entire (going on) 6 years that we have been wed. He informs me though that a jewler can fix it by melting it back together and we won't ever know anything happened. I hope that is the case. I wish we knew what caused the swelling in the first place....

We went to dinner tonight with our neighbor friends. I was unable to eat much, following the big lunch we had, but enjoyed the company of friends and family immensely today.

A good day...

No comments: